Teacher Feature – Kevin Chavers

(Staff Photo) Science teacher Kevin Chavers.

This September, the West Potomac Science department welcomed Kevin Chavers. Chavers teaches biology, a subject in which he strives to help others understand and appreciate his passion. He looks forward to working with students and faculty and is committed to helping others achieve great things. Chavers tells a little more about himself and some of the experiences that brought him to West Potomac.

How has your time been teaching at West Potomac?

“I’ve really enjoyed it so far, I feel like West Potomac really has a positive school culture. I’ve been at several different schools, [and] I feel by far that this is the most welcoming and supportive to all of it’s students.”

How long have you been teaching?

“This is my second full year.”

What inspired you to become a teacher?

“I’ve always just enjoyed just being able to help people and…help them understand something that I’m very passionate about; which is biology.  [ enjoy] helping people be able to…advance their knowledge and…go to college, [as] maybe the first in their family.”

What is your favorite thing that has happened at West Potomac thus far?

“I really enjoy working with my different populations of students. I get to work with such a variety.”

How would you describe yourself?

“Very even-tempered.”

How do you think others would describe you?

“Nice and caring.”

If you could have one “do-over” in life, what would it be?

“I think I would have liked to have been a little bit more adventurous…I think some more adventure might bring some more excitement.”

What was the biggest difficulty that you overcame?

“I was the first person in my family to attend college, so I wasn’t able to have support that I think a lot of other people have had, but I’m very proud to have been able to.”

What college did you attend?

“George Mason.”

What was your major?

“Biology, and then I did my masters in education.”

What is your biggest achievement?

“Being able to teach young people.”

What is the hardest and best thing about your job

“The best thing is seeing how happy people get when they understand something that they were having trouble with. The hardest part can be trying to help others see why what we’re trying to teach them in relevant.”

If you weren’t a teacher, what job would you like to have?

“I always thought my dream job would to be a pilot, but…I think I definitely made the correct career choice.”

What do you like to do on the weekends?

“…If there’s any type of auto-racing on, I’m going to be watching it. I like to relax and catch up on some things that I neglected during the week.”

Is there anything else that you want us to know about you?

“I’m…very happy that I was able to share some of this with you and it’s such a pleasure to be able to work with all of the students and faculty at West Potomac.”