Freshman Guard Shows Promise for the Present and Future

It was obvious from the very first scrimmage West Potomac played this fall that Alan Treakle was going to be a catalyst for the Boys Basketball team. The freshman guard showcased his quickness and ball skills, and despite the team taking a loss to Hayfield, Treakle proved that Head Coach David Houston made an excellent decision by inserting the inexperienced player into the starting lineup.

Treakle already looks like a seasoned veteran on the court, thanks in large part to his chemistry with his brother and senior point guard, Austin Treakle.

The elder Treakle thinks very highly of his younger brother and teammate, and said, “He’d probably be the better scorer. He does a good job of knocking down his open shots, and getting to the rack when needed.” Austin, a self-described pass-first point guard, frequently looks to find Alan on the floor, and the freshman has taken advantage. Through eight games, Alan has averaged 12 points, good for second highest on the team, and is just a half of a point behind Joseph Richards’ team leading 12.6 point average.

A testament to his ability to drive to the hole to create easy baskets and foul opportunities, Treakle’s 96 points have come almost entirely from inside the arc, with only four, three pointers under his belt on the year. He also has made it to the charity stripe 43 times this year, the most on the team by a mile, and has turned those attempts into 32 points for the Wolverines.

Asked about his goals for the year, the young scorer said, “My goal for the year is to finish high in the standings, and just play hard the whole season.”

Thanks to Alan, the Wolverine basketball program looks to be in good hands not only this season, but for the remainder of his high school career. Past and present Wolverines should be excited to watch where the young star’s skills will take him and his team.