Breaking News

Mollie Shiflett, Co-Editor-in-Chief

In her Senior year at West Po, Mollie Shiflett wants to keep it real. She is Co-Editor-in-Chief of the West Po Wire and has been since sophomore year. She enjoys journalism and baking. She plays soccer for West Po and Gunston U19 travel. She enjoys traveling and her favorite places to visit are Maine and Paris, France. She is looking forward to graduation and moving on to college next year. 

All content by Mollie Shiflett
Educate to Stop the Hate

Educate to Stop the Hate

Mollie Shiflett, Former Editor-in-Chief Class of '22
November 3, 2022

Kanye West did a thing. Again. It started in the beginning of October, when West took to Instagram to accuse Sean “Diddy” Combs, of being under the influence of “Jewish people” in an attempt to...

The Last Goodbye

The Last Goodbye

Mollie Shiflett, Editor-In-Chief
May 27, 2022

I don’t know how to start this. I feel like, when momentous occasions are near, one is always at a loss for words, or at least those words are in a jumble. So I think I’ll start at the end. Ends...

Source: FCPS School Safety Report Card Data
*Numbers in 2019-20 and 2020-21 lower due to COVID Pandemic--less in school data available.

Needed Mental Health Care Scarce as Behavior Issues Concern Staff, Students

Mollie Shiflett, Co-Editor-In-Chief
April 13, 2022

After a year-and-a-half of virtual learning and various levels of isolation due to Covid 19 restrictions, most students, teachers, staff, and parents are happy—or at least relieved—to have returned...

Youngkin Introduces New Education Policies

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
March 14, 2022

Glenn Youngkin was sworn in as the first Republican governor in the Commonwealth since 2009 just after noon on January 15th, 2022. He then signed 11 executive orders, including two about a central point...

Football Warms Up at West Po

Football Warms Up at West Po

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
August 26, 2021

The West Potomac Football team will take the field for the first time on Friday, August 27 in a scrimmage against McLean High School. The game will be taking place in McLean and offers one of the first...

CAT B Makes History Concrete

CAT B Makes History Concrete

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
June 10, 2021

This past school year has been a year unlike any other. However, CAT B teacher Joann Molnar has tried to keep everything as normal as possible. For those who don’t know what the CAT B program is, it...

Womens History Returns to West Po, Seeks to Widen History Curriculum

Women’s History Returns to West Po, Seeks to Widen History Curriculum

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
June 8, 2021

Two school years ago at West Po a new elective was created in the history department called ‘Women’s History’. It only ran at West Potomac, and while it didn’t run this year, it will return for...

The Mayoral Race Taking Place in the Outlands: What You Need to Know

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
March 16, 2021

Much like the trailers themselves, a political competition has sprung up in the so-called “Outlands” otherwise known as the new trailers on the tennis court. The competition for the title of mayor...

Photo Credit: Ms. Andrea Veltman

Teacher Feature: Ms. Andrea Veltman

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
February 9, 2021

Ms. Andrea Veltman’s laugh and warm greetings could be heard up and down the language hallway when students were there to hear it. Her room was colorfully decorated with Spanish art and cat memes depicting...

From Fort Hunt Herald

West Po, Fairfax County Plan Return Amid Pandemic

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
December 18, 2020

Following the Coronavirus Pandemic that shut schools down in Fairfax County in early March, schools are attempting to reopen once again, and have reopened for small numbers starting in the beginning of...

From 270towin.com

Editorial: How My Favorite Color is Being Ruined

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
November 24, 2020

Like most Americans during the 4 day election standstill from Nov 3 to Nov 7, my eyes were glued to the television screen, following a man tapping a screen faster than I can type on my laptop with rapt...

RBG Fought For Equality. Now Its Our Turn.

RBG Fought For Equality. Now It’s Our Turn.

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
October 2, 2020

Late at night on September 18, the US lost a titan.  Ruth Bader Ginsburg died following complications with metastatic pancreatic cancer at the age of 87. Throughout the course of her life, few people...

Heres a link to a story written last year, so you can see what the statue used to look like. https://thewpwire.org/5424/showcase/a-statute-of-confederacy/

Statues Honoring the Confederacy Removed Across Virginia

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
June 10, 2020

Following the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer, as well as the deaths of Breonna Taylor and Ahmad Abrey, demonstrations erupted across the country to protest police brutality and...

Senior Athlete Profile: Madison Kimberlin

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
June 1, 2020

-Played Varsity for 4 years -Played utility in the infield as a Freshman, then moved to Center Field for the following three years.   Best Memory “My favorite memory is the bus ride...

Senior Athlete Profile: Allison Thompson

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
June 1, 2020

-Played Varsity for four years -Played first base and catcher Best Memory “My best memory was against Mount Vernon HS and I was catching and the pitch was a drop third strike, I threw to first,...

Senior Athlete Profile:  Shannon McMaster

Senior Athlete Profile: Shannon McMaster

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
June 1, 2020

-Played her Freshman and Senior years only, both on Varsity -Played First Base and Catcher Best Memory “My best memory would have to be watching my little sister, Megan McMaster, tryout with...

Senior Athlete Profile: Charlotte Krell

Senior Athlete Profile: Charlotte Krell

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
June 1, 2020

-Played Varsity Softball for 4 years -Played Right Field Favorite Memories “My best memories are winning Districts in my Freshman year and all the fun practices I had with my team.” Biggest...

Complete Your Census Today on US Census Day

Mollie Shiflett
April 1, 2020

April 1, 2020, is Census Day and FCPS is encouraging everyone who can respond to the Census today to do so. Those who can take it can find it on the US Census website. Today is the deadline to respond.   It...

The yellow portion of the image will be the new additions to the school.

Hammering Out a Deal: Construction Plans are Finalized

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
February 19, 2020

West Po will be undergoing a $22 million dollar construction project to increase the capacity of the school by one third, from 2,331 students to 3,000. The construction will commence in December 2020,...

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
February 14, 2020

Adeline Sauer, sophomore, checks her phone before class begins.

Phone Ban Policy Boosting Engagement at West Po

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
November 18, 2019

Starting this school year, West Po banned the use of cell phones, according to Tangy Millard, West Potomac’s principal. “Teachers began working on this policy over the summer once the school determined...

Patrons of The Wire

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
May 29, 2019

This year, The Wire offered patron spots at Back-to-School Night. Patrons payed anywhere from $10 to $150 and received a print issue of the paper as well as having their names listed on the Patrons and...

Wolverine scoreboard preparing to show us on top tonight!

Spring Sports Wrap Up At West Po

Mollie Shiflett, Reporter
May 14, 2019

It’s test season now at West Potomac, but spring sports aren’t over yet. All of the varsity teams have qualified for their respective Gunston District tournament this year. Games: Girls Soccer...

Reviving Recycling at West Po

Reviving Recycling at West Po

Mollie Shiflett and Carter Ver Hage
May 14, 2019

The students in the Low Incidence Program at West Potomac, otherwise known as the Category B (Cat B) Program, have been collecting recycling from the classrooms around the school reviving a recycling program...

The rock was painted to mark the beginning of Black History Month by BSU.

Black History Month Hits West Potomac

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
February 8, 2019

Black History Month. Black History Month is the annual celebration of the achievements of African Americans and their role in American society. Black History Month has been celebrated in the month of February...

Students Win Big at Poetry Contest

Students Win Big at Poetry Contest

Mollie Shiflett, Writer
December 7, 2018

Last month, 3 students won cash prizes—$500 in all—for poems that they wrote for the Veterans Day celebrations at West Potomac High School. The contest was created by the Travis Manion Foundation,...

Students Question New Homeroom Curriculum: What About Homework Time?

This year, school administrators at West Potomac High School introduced an “Emotional Literacy Curriculum” to advisory. These lessons are intended to focus on “building relationships,” according...

Load More Stories
Activate Search
Mollie Shiflett