Breaking News

Chasing The Great One: Can Ovechkin Do It?

AP
FILE – Washington Capitals left wing Alex Ovechkin (8) follows through on a shot during the second period in Game 5 of an NHL hockey Stanley Cup first-round playoff series against the Boston Bruins in Washington, in this Sunday, May 23, 2021, file photo. Ovechkin re-signed with the Washington Capitals on the eve of free agency, Tuesday, July 27, 2021, inking a four-year deal worth $40 million.(AP Photo/Nick Wass, File)

The New York Rangers swept the Washington Capitals in the first round of the NHL playoffs on April 29th which ended the storybook year for the Capitals, who with new coach Spencer Carbery weren’t expected to even get close to the playoffs. They were able to defy the odds and make it to the playoffs, but their future hall of fame player, Alex Ovechkin, had a rough series which has casted doubt about his future. 

Ovechkin is 38 years old, the same age as Gretzky when he retired, and quite possibly has a few years left on the ice. He currently has 853 career goals, 41 goals short of Wayne Gretzky’s all time leading mark for career goals. He had an average year, posting the lowest single season goal total of his career with 31. This is a sign of slowing down for Ovechkin who had an incredibly bad playoff series, with a stat line of zero points, goals, assist, and shots on goal in four games.                  

Freshman Roeth Gingery, a wing on the hockey team and Capitals fan said,“I believe that he will break the record but not until the 2025-2026 season before the all star break.” 

There is hope that Ovechkin can break the record, as his contract runs through the 2025-2026 NHL season, giving him at least two guaranteed years. When asked in February if he was going to retire soon Ovechkin simply retired “no,”leaving no doubt that unless he struggles with injuries, he should be able to play out the rest of his contract with the Washington Capitals.      

Ms. Simpson, English teacher and Capitals fan says: “If he keeps scoring at the same pace and doesn’t get injured I think that he will have the record before his contract runs out.”                                                                           

Another factor that leaves hope for Ovechkin fans is that Wayne Gretzky himself believes that Ovechkin will break the record. While speaking with NHL. com in 2023, Gretzky stated, “I think we’re past the point of if he’s going to do it,” and “We said a year ago that it’s a matter of when he’s going to do it.”  

Gretzky also reiterated that he would like to be able to be there when Ovechkin passes him on to become the NHL’s all time leading goal scorer. That’s up to the League and to the Washington Capitals and what they want to do, “So yeah, when it comes to the right time, I’m not going to go to every game now till 895, but when he gets close, obviously I’d love to be there.”