The Biology Behind the Freshman Science Fair

The end of the school year for all freshmen in honors biology clashed like cymbals at the freshman science fair. It’s orchestrated by Mrs. Eisenman and the Biology teachers have been in preparation throughout the year to make an exuberant event.  Honors bio students have been preparing for the fair starting as early as 1st quarter and then each month since.

There was no shortage of ideas for this science fair. Students could pick any topic from plant life to baking as long as it was approved by their teachers. There weren’t many limitations they had other than things like using live animals and other non-appropriate things.

“I liked that we were able to pick our own thing and be creative with it,” Edy Sharp, freshman, said.

Some examples of projects that students came up with were Impact of pots on plant growth and The effect of popcorn brand on the number of kernels popped. 

“It’s a really fun process. I really encourage upcoming ninth graders to start thinking about ideas for next year,” Ms. Hadyn Eisenman, biology teacher, said.

The 9th grade fair doesn’t crown winners, and this process was more of a pre-project to prepare the students for the Honors Chemistry Science Fair. This process prepares students for regionals and eventually maybe nationals if successful.

Some upperclassmen also came in the classes to review, judge, and give feedback to the students before their final grade. Getting another pair of eyes on the project which was very helpful to the students.

“The feedback helped me alot with knowing what I was missing. It definitely improved my project” Addison Hood, freshman, said.

The science fair was a way for students to show their creativity and biology expertise. It also expanded student’s knowledge on subjects that were not once explored. The science fair wasn’t just a grade, it helped create full blown understanding in new ways to help the world.

“Although the science fair was time consuming, it made me learn so many things about biology and the topic I was interested in, ” Leila Freimanis, freshman, said.