Spanish Honor Society Induction Ceremony Paves Way for a Big Year

The inductees with their certificates after the ceremony.

Thirty-one students were inducted into the Spanish Honor Society on Thursday, October 26th. The ceremony was followed by a feast of pizza, cookies and water.

Senior Emma Melvin joined SHS for the first time this year, but has participated in the club for the past two years.

“I’ve always intended to join Spanish Honor Society, but every year I missed the deadline.” Melvin said. “I’ve sort of been an honorary member the past couple years.”

Because Melvin has been involved, she knows the perks of being in the society.

“I know both teachers who run it are super enthusiastic and the students feel welcome,” Melvin said.

Senior Ryan Thompson had a different view on the benefits of being in SHS.

“We do a lot of service with hispanic people and we also tutor students who are learning Spanish or English,” Thompson said. “We also have a lot of events that can educate people on [hispanic] culture.”

Before the students can be part of the cultural experience, they need to go through the induction ceremony.

“You watch people get inducted and you watch them get their certificates and stuff and you clap a lot.” Thompson said.

Although 31 students were inducted this year, Thompson says that they always want new members and encourage them to join.

“It’s a really valuable skill to learn to be able to teach someone something new.” Thompson said.

Being able to educate people on Hispanic culture is a main goal for the club, and they do many activities to incorporate the culture while making it enjoyable.

“We do a lot of service with hispanic people and we also tutor students who are learning spanish or learning english, we also have a lot of events that can educate people on their culture.” Thompson said.