West Po Students Coach the Next Generation

Juniors+Jake+Cooper+and+Sean+Curtin+in+team+huddle+during+game.+

Juniors Jake Cooper and Sean Curtin in team huddle during game.

If you love the game, besides playing, sometimes giving back to others is the best part. While some students play for the West Po basketball teams, others play in the Fort Hunt recreational league in a not-as-serious-setting in leagues from 1st grade going all the way to 12th grade. Besides playing, many students coach younger kids rec teams.

According to the boys house commissioner Jack Harris, “We have approximately 15 teams in the boys and girls house leagues that are coached by high school students this year, and each team has 2-3 volunteers serving as co-coaches.” And this year, “FHYAA had its largest house basketball registration numbers ever, which means more teams and a need for more volunteers.”

Junior Aidan Lansburgh coaches a 6th grade boys team with juniors Josh Sessine and Paul Gonsalves. “My favorite part of coaching is watching them get better, and then the excitement when they succeed and win,” Lansburgh explains. Sessine adds, “…and seeing the kids have fun.”

Becoming a house basketball coach is a process and students have to reach out via email to request to coach long before the season starts. The student-coaches get started by participating in the try-outs and the draft. Then they communicate with kids and parents, organize practices, and, of course, coach the games.

“I decided to become a coach because I just wanted to try it and see if I would be good at it. My dad’s a coach for everything I do, so I figured I might as well see if I could do it,” Sessine explained.

Harris is a fan of students coaching saying, “I love that we have so many high school student volunteers in FHYAA. I coached my first team as a high school senior so I am always for our teams having coaches who are not a parent.”
Junior Liam Malloy explains why students coaching is beneficial, saying,“We get to help raise the future generation and teach them good sportsmanship and rules.”