West Potomac Academy Hosts Blood Drive

Emma Fetterolf
The INOVA “Bloodmobile”.

Student’s in West Po Academy’s medical classes helped hosted a blood drive Friday, December 1, in the academy parking lot supported by INOVA hospital. The students worked to publicize the event and recruit donors. 

Before students could sign up for donation, they had to be the age of 16, could not have any tattoos, could not have traveled out of the country within a certain amount of time, and could not be taking specific medications, for example accutane, according to medical student senior Jocelyn Joy. Students also needed parental consent.

“The day of the donation, you shouldn’t feel sick, you should feel healthy. You can’t donate if you are not feeling well the day of” Joy said. On the day of the drive volunteer donors received a pass to go to the blood drive. Students signed up for 15 minute slots. Medical professionals from INOVA will be drawing the blood, and it takes around 5 minutes but volunteers have a grace period where they wait 30 minutes to make sure they are not drowsy or fatigued. 

“I think blood drives are super important because they help so many people. Patients who get hurt can get the help they need, or someone with a disease can receive blood to make it another week. A little blood can go a long way,” Joy said. 

At the blood drive, 53 people graciously donated their blood. A total of 45 pints of whole blood, and 18 pints of red cells were collected to have a total of 63 total pints of blood. “Compared to last year’s drive, this one was about the same. But this year we had more people donate double the blood,” Ms. Alisa Zamudio said. Eight people donated 2 pints of their blood compared to 3 people from last year. 

“Thanks to this blood drive 189 lives can now be potentially saved,” Zamudio Said. 

If students want to donate out of school, visit The American Red Cross website or call their blood donation number – 1-800-RED CROSS.