A Fan’s View of Taylor Swift Through the Eras

Taylor+Swifts+Eras+Tour+earned+more+than+%241+billion+so+far+with+another+year+to+go.+
Photo- Katherine Olson
Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour earned more than $1 billion so far with another year to go.

Taylor Swift is one of the most accomplished and successful singer/songwriters across the globe. Why, you may ask?

Swift is mainly known for her 10 albums that include her debut, Fearless, Speak Now, Red, 1989, Reputation, Lover, Folklore, Evermore, and Midnights. She also has won more than 300 awards throughout her career and has been nominated for over 400.

Swift has also been able to alter the genre of each album so there is something for everyone. An example of her variety was
when she produced more country pop in the beginning of her career, in albums like debut and fearless. She utilizes synth pop in her album 1989, electropop in Reputation, and indie folk in albums Folklore and Evermore. Her fans (Swifties) especially like how she shows her personality and emotion in each song.

Some fans from West Potomac High School even say her music makes them feel very empowered and takes them through rough days. “It only takes me a couple seconds to really feel the happiness from Taylors songs,” Leila Freimanis, freshman, said .

For many people her music is medicine to their pain and they listen to her because they always know they can rely on her music, even when things are going wrong. “She makes me feel amazing and more of a free spirit,” Juliet Laisch, freshman, said.
‘I personally think that each album relates to one of my moods; for example, 1989 can always make me a more bright and positive person while listening to it because the way the beat plays makes any place a more magical one, like Folklore can get me ready for any test or through any homework assignment because it is so calming.”

Not everything has been easy for Taylor though. In 2005, Taylor signed a record deal with Big Machine Records that gave them ownership of her first six studio albums and after she was done recording all six in 2018 they sold the music to another company without Swift’s knowledge. After just a year of Swift’s record deal with Republic Records they sold her music again without her knowledge to a man named Scooter Bruan. After all of this, she finally decided she would re-record all of her older albums so that she could have full ownership.

Now, Taylor Swift has re-recorded 4 of her older albums; Fearless, Speak now, Red, and 1989 and calls them Taylor’s version. Fans have loved these new Taylor’s Versions of her songs because now that Taylor is older, all of the songs sound the same but different in a way you can’t explain and just have to listen to see. She has also released songs on her Taylor’s Version albums that didn’t make the cut to be on the albums when she first released it. These are called the Vault Songs.

To some of her “haters,” Taylor Swift may just seem like a dumb blonde, but that couldn’t be farther from the truth. “She is an inspiration in my life,” Dylan Oldham, freshman, said and “She makes me feel love in the air,” Gabriel Washington, freshman, added. She is so gifted in music but she also cares about other people and has had to work her way up from just being
a 15 year old girl with a record deal to a 34 year old woman who has won many awards and has recorded manyalbums that almost everyone loves to listen to.