The Club Hub: The Black Student Union

West Po students making Black History Month bracelets during lunch.

February is Black History Month and the Black Student Union (BSU) is getting ready to work during lunches doing African American trivia and making bracelets every Friday for the month. 

The president of the BSU is Joy Cuero, a senior at West Po, and she is helping to run the trivia and bracelets.

“Every Friday during all lunches in February, we either do trivia or bracelet making,” Joy said. “For trivia, we walk around the cafeteria and ask some questions relating to black history. If you get it right, you can get a prize! Bracelet making happens at a small table [with] assortments of [colored] beads. Students can come up to the table and make any sort of bracelet they want.”

The BSU is a club at West Potomac High School and was founded in 2012 during Black History Month. They do various activities to celebrate and make light of the accomplishments of African Americans like movie nights and baking cookies. 

The BSU is also known for its tightly knit community. Amaya Guess, a junior at West Po, is the social media manager and an active member of the BSU. 

“It’s an amazing club. It’s a safe space and it’s a community,” Amaya said. 

Anyone can join the club, no matter race or ethnicity. The BSU has a Schoology page that can be accessed by going to one of the meetings or emailing Shari Terry, the sponsor of the club, about being interested in joining it. 

Ms. Shari Terry is a physics teacher at West Potomac High School and she founded the club in February of 2012. 

“The best way [for] people to support us is to come to our activities,” Ms. Terry said. “Come out and support the rest of the activities that we have for this month and other events that we’re going to have for the rest of the school year.”