Review: The Flamboyance of Kinky Boots

Promotional poster for Kinky Boots
Taken from Wikipedia
Promotional poster for Kinky Boots

Kinky Boots came to the West Potomac Auditorium on April 26th, 2024. In doing so, it has gifted the community with a flamboyant presentation of expression, pride, and acceptance. 

Kinky Boots is a musical based off of the film Kinky Boots. The musical follows the story of a shoe factory owner, Charlie Price, who seeks out the assistance of a drag queen named Lola to produce high-heeled boots in order to save his struggling business.

Student tickets cost $10 while adult tickets cost $15. Tickets may be purchased in advance here. Additionally, on May 4th, a drag brunch will be hosted before the 1 p.m. show in the Kogelman Theater. For details on the brunch, visit this link.

Throughout the show, it was clear a great amount of effort was put into the detail and execution of the production. Most striking was the ingenious method for a transition between young Charlie Price and adult Charlie Price. Keep an eye out for it during the opening number. Moreover, the crew took the elements of set, prop, and lighting to create effects usually only possible with film and editing.

Lighting was magnificently applied to highlight the emotional state of tense, joyous, and similarly impactful scenes. There was nothing more exciting than seeing as the lights flickered with the music or as Charlie stood in a room shrouded by blue. Set pieces could be moved or reused for a variety of settings and turned the stage into a dynamic environment that felt lively as the characters moved throughout it. Finally, the props. You can’t have Kinky Boots without some glorious, glittery, and glamorous boots. 

The work of the crew truly benefited the story. Kinky Boots is served no justice by its synopsis describing the story as a tale of a struggling businessman. It is a story about familial pressure, the struggles of enterprise, self-expression, and most importantly, accepting others and yourself. Charlie and Lola show the audience what it means to be yourself. In order to do so, the musical makes brilliant use of song, dance, and social commentary. 

Don’t let the controversy of drag push you away from the extravagance that is Kinky Boots. Just as the show recites, you change the world once you change your mind. Change your world by taking the chance to support the incredible work of Beyond the Page Theatre Company.

View Comments (1)