Filed under Features, Profile, Showcase

Junior Doug Miller Reaches Important Milestone in Boy Scout Career

Becoming an Eagle Scout is the highest rank a boy can be in the program Boy Scouts of America. To reach this achievement, the official website for Boy Scouts of America states that members must first be active in their troop for at least six months after receiving the rank of Life Scout, demonstrate that you live by the principles of the Scout Oath and Scout Law in your daily life, list on your Eagle Scout Rank Application the names of individuals who know you personally and would be willing to provide a recommendation on your behalf, and earn a total of 21 merit badges. Boy Scouts must also complete a project that will serve the community as part of the process to become an Eagle Scout

For his Eagle Scout Project, junior Doug Miller built a butterfly garden at his local elementary school, Fort Hunt. Although Miller still needs to receive two more merit badges, he decided to get a head start and complete his project now.

“I didn’t set out to make a butterfly garden, but when I met with the principal of Fort Hunt he asked me if I’d do it. I had heard he was looking for a Boy Scout to do a project at the school, so I met with him and he suggested a garden,” explained Miller, who has been a Boy Scout since the age of 11.

Miller spent months creating the perfect project proposal to be approved by his review board, and went through the process of receiving signatures from September to December of 2015.

“I celebrated in my car for a bit [after getting the last signature] because I was done with the bureaucratic aspect to getting my project done,” he said.

“My project was building a butterfly garden at Fort Hunt Elementary, and it involved: the rejuvenation of a pre existing mulch bed by replacing the old mulch, relocating tulips that were scattered around, laying down wildflower seed in fresh soil, the planting of other assorted flowers, weeding the mulch bed, and the installation of a bench in the front. Most of the work was done on April 9th, but due to a terrible morning involving heavy rain and sleet, the actual planting was reserved for the following weekend.”

Miller built the garden with many fellow Boy Scouts who also attend West Potomac, including sophomore Jordan Hilko,  juniors Carter Engvall, Nick Hogan, Will Nicholson, Hayden McCloud, Tyler Chui, and Colin Wong, and senior Max Dacey.

“It was a lot of fun, mainly because we got to hang out with our close friends while also helping out our community,” said Hogan.

Agreeing with Hogan, Miller added, “The ample opportunities presented through the years of being a Boy Scout allow one to fully give back to his community through service for others. Service for the community is an integral part of being a Boy Scout, and is the most fulfilling aspect because it shapes the boys into upstanding citizens.”