Soccer Seniors Celebrate in Style

Sophomore Mary Bell (left) and junior Ashlyn Hendrix (middle) giving gifts to senior Catherine Chittal

West Potomac Girls’ Varsity Soccer Senior Night was more like a Senior Day. Arriving at school on Tuesday morning, the senior teammates were greeted by their names and jersey numbers painted on the school rock in neon colors.

Throughout the school day, each senior received three different bags with their favorite foods inside, delivered by both varsity and junior varsity athletes. Included in the treats were princess tiaras and feather boas, which the seniors wore proudly all day.

After a day of being celebrated by their teammates, the real senior night arrived. Walking up to the soccer field, senior girls saw their names written in colorful chalk and posters with photos of them throughout the years.

The official ceremony began with the varsity underclassmen and the junior varsity team lined up on the track, ready to give the seniors their personalized gifts. Each senior received mason jars with notes from their underclassmen teammates inside, and a painted wooden letter standing for their first name, and a soccer ball signed by their teammates.

Sarah Vermillion, Jennifer Newton, Maggie McDonald, Lindsay Freewalt, Sophie Adler, Catherine Chittal, Kelsey Krause, Haleigh Hopper, and Elena Fernandez were all escorted by their friends and family down the track as the spectators listened to an announcer read their senior speeches.

The walk down the track was filled with hugs from teammates and coaches. As they reached the end, they received the traditional gift of their jersey folded in a glass frame.

Eventually, the girls had to wipe away their tears and prepare for their game against Fairfax. All 9 seniors started the game and went on to fight for a triumphant 3-2 victory for the Wolverines.