Breaking News

The Disappearance of Young Republicans and Young Democrats Clubs

West Potomac is one of the few schools in Fairfax county without the Young Republicans and Young Democrats clubs.
Neither the Young Democrats or the Young Republicans have clubs at West Potomac. Photo Credit: UIC Today

As of 2020, the Young Democrats and Young Republicans clubs disappeared from the West Po clubs roster after running from 2001-2020. There was also a Democratic Socialist club for a short time, but it’s also not operational. Why did these clubs disappear, and will they ever make a comeback? 

These two clubs were for kids who had interests in politics on either sides of the left or the right. As of recently these clubs have not been active.

Ms. Corbelli, reading specialist, is in charge of new clubs. “I reached out a couple of times to the school to say these clubs no longer have a sponsor and no one [displayed interest],” Ms. Corbelli said.

Though the clubs haven’t been active since 2020, some students had interest last year in bringing the clubs back. This did not happen because no schedule was ever set up due to lack of a sponsor. 

Mr. Baldwin, government and history teacher. “I think West Potomac should have clubs that align with student interests, and I believe it’s important to have clubs that connect with our major political parties. Parties are still very relevant in elections, and they still do a lot of meaningful things in the community.”

Many FCPS schools still have political clubs up and running including Hayfield, Mount Vernon, and Fairfax. Some other schools in the county only have one or the other including Robinson, West Springfield, Jefferson, and Langley. West Po is one of only a few schools in the county that either do not or no longer have both of these clubs.

“I’m leaning no when it comes to bringing these clubs back…I think it’s great to start clubs but I don’t think that’s the right club to start. Students our age shouldn’t have to concern ourselves with something that is not necessary to our lives currently,” Curtis Marshall, freshman, said.

Ms. Corbelli believes the Young Republicans and Young Democrats clubs can still be revived. Showing that these clubs are still in existence in many other schools, there is a chance that these clubs will make a comeback. 

“If anyone is interested in being a sponsor for these clubs, please reach out,” Ms. Corbelli said.