Breaking News

‘Tis the Wolverine Winter Sports Season

Games/Meets Add Excitement to the Holiday Season
+Chris+Morrison+and+Will+Cahill%2C+pictured+here%2C+are+among+the+many+Wolverine+athletes+who+expect+a+great+winter+sports.+
Chris Morrison and Will Cahill, pictured here, are among the many Wolverine athletes who expect a great winter sports.

Tis’ the season again, the time where you put your tree up, sit by a fire and watch christmas movies with the family. You know what that means, winter sports are beginning to start such as basketball, wrestling, swim and dive and ice hockey. 

One of our juniors Sammy Pearson, a member of the hockey team, is pumped for the season. “I have a really good feeling about this upcoming season for the club, by the way 74 Murray is dust.” Friday, December 8th, is Bishop Ireton versus West Potomac at the St.James. This match-up is always a big deal and a fun one to go watch and support our Wolverines!

Basketball season is also around the corner with one of our sophomore hoopers Keyden Hopper expressing his thoughts about the season.

Number #20 Dominic Sanchez warms up as the Wolverines get ready for their season-opener. (Fletcher Condon)

“I think we’re going to have a good season similar to last season, another where we sweep South County.”

During the 22-23 season the Wolverines took down our rivals the Stallions winning 45-43 in an amazing game. The Wolverines ended up winning the Patriot district and moving onto playoffs, unfortunately losing to Edison. This year’s team is playing for a deep playoff run. We need all the support we can get from the 12th man, cheer loud!

This year is the girls freshmen basketball’s first year with their new Coach Stuchelli, but they call him Coach Stuke. He transferred over here from Glasgow Elementary and has high hopes for this team. 

The swim and dive team is facing some adversity with the Mount Vernon Rec Center being under renovation. They have been moved to the George Washington Rec Center for their practices. This has forced them to leave school a little bit early everyday, they are still working everyday and overcoming this change. The team struggled against a powerful Robinson foe but they are looking to get back on track and stay focused.

Lastly, one of our freshmen Charles Campbell a newcomer to wrestling is fitting in well in his new sport

“I think we have a good group of guys this year, as a freshman they are really making me feel at home,” he said.