Athletic Facilities Receive Major Facelift

Phoebe Schultz
Construction of the dugouts at the softball field

West Potomac fans have noticed the various changes brought to the athletic facilities. Since taking over as Director of Student Services (DSA) last April, Mr. Macdonald has brought in many new amenities and has started the process of major renovations for some of the fields which has ultimately been made possible by the generous donations from the Booster club. 

Almost all facilities have received a major facelift includingWest Potomac branded signage outside the Wolverdome (gym) lobby, new signage and scoreboard for the stadium, a brand new infield for baseball, brand new dugouts for softball, and new windscreens for both softball and baseball.

“We want to improve the facilities. You know our goal is to show our school pride and when people come here.[We want them to}] know they’re at West Potomac.” Mr. Macdonald said.

The new additions aren’t just playing as a visual look off the field, they have also helped with on-field performance. “They have helped improve the team’s overall morale,” two sport athlete senior Zach Forti said.

The renovations for the athletic facilities will continue as there are plans to move the growing wrestling team to the small weight room, so they can have more space to practice. Baseball will be getting both new lights and a new scoreboard. New electronic scoreboards, and scoring tables for the gym, and also new signage for the softball dugouts will be going up soon. 

Mr. Macdonald and the athletic department also want to celebrate the achievements of student athletes. They plan on making boards to hang up to showcase the “Next Level Athletes” who are continuing to play at the collegiate level. They also plan to showcase the “Athletes of the Month” with both their names and pictures included.

Mr. Macdonald, who was once the head baseball coach at Lewis High School, wants people to come to West Po and play on good surfaces and facilities. He wants student athletes to take care and pride in where they play.

“I want our student athletes and our community to be excited to be here,” he said.