Breaking News

Michigan Captures First National Title in 30 Years

Credit: LA Times
Michigan hoists their first national championship trophy in 30 years

After a long and hard season filled with controversy and suspensions, Michigan fans will be able to celebrate as they win their first national championship in almost 30 years.

“It felt really good for them to finally win it (The National Championship)” 9th grader Andrew Johnson said. “It’s crazy that our program is all of the sudden having success because I wasn’t even alive the last time we won the national championship.”

Michigan spent the whole night causing problems for Washington’s offense by confusing Michael Penix Jr. and forcing him into two interceptions. On the other side of the ball Michigan’s rushing attack shined on the big stage as Donovan Edwards and Blake Corum each rushed for two touchdowns.

Although Michigan dominated the game, it was midway through the fourth quarter when a Blake Corum touchdown and an interception that Mike Sainristil returned to Washington’s 6 yard line sealed the game for the Wolverines.

Donavan Edwards celebrates touchdown with teammate Cornelius Johnson (Michigan Daily)

This is a team that has overcome some big challenges and was really the story of college football the whole year. Head Coach Jim Harbaugh was suspended for 6 games due to recruiting and sign stealing scandals and was in national news for practically the entire season. Despite this challenge offensive coordinator Sherrone Moore took over for the duration of Harbaugh’s second suspension and picked up big wins against Penn State and Ohio State. Late in the Ohio State game team leader and All-American offensive lineman Zak Zinter went down with a season ending injury. On the ensuing play Michigan’s offense rallied and scored a huge touchdown. Zinter’s injury became a rallying point for this team and they used it as motivation to become National Champions.

Despite all the controversy and all of the setbacks surrounding the program. Michigan was truly the best team in college football and deserved this trophy. So the offseason questions will have to wait, and Michigan players and fans will celebrate a season they will never forget.