Breaking News

Baseball Writers Select 2024 Hall of Fame Draft Class

MLB.com
Members of the 2024 Hall of Fame Class

As the winter weather starts to come to a close and Spring Training for baseball comes closer, the Baseball Writers’ Association of America (BBWAA) has announced the 2024 Baseball Hall of Fame Class that will be inducted this summer in Cooperstown New York. The BBWAA is made up of  nearly 400 members and to be elected into the hall of fame you must appear on 75% of the ballots. The 2024 class includes Adrian Beltre, Joe Mauer, and Todd Helton. All of them played in the 2010’s and were the top players of their era. 

Adrian Beltre was a 3rd Baseman who played for four different teams- the Dodgers, Mariners, Red Sox, and Rangers- over a 21 year career. Beltre was a 4x All Star, 4x Silver Slugger, and 5x Gold Glove and is considered one of the best 3rd baseman ever. Beltre has a career 3,166 hits, 477 home runs, and had a .286 batting average. Beltre received 95.1% of ballots and was elected on his first attempt on the ballot. 

Joe Mauer was a catcher who played for the Minnesota Twins over his 15 year career. Mauer was selected with the 1st pick of the 2001 Draft and made his debut three years later. Mauer had an outstanding career winning an MVP, 6x All Star, 3x Gold Glove, and the batting title three times. Mauer ended his career with 2,123 hits, 143 home runs, and had a .306 career batting average. Mauer received 76.1% of ballots and was elected on his first attempt on the ballot.

Todd Helton was a first baseman who spent his 17-year career for the Colorado Rockies. Helton was the 8th pick of the 1995 draft and made his debut 2 years later. Helton was the face of the Rockies franchise and was a 5x All Star, 3x Gold Glove, 4x Silver Slugger, and won the batting title once. Helton ended his career with 2,519 hits, 369 home runs, and had a .316 career batting average. Helton received 79.7% of ballots and was elected on his 6th attempt on the ballot. 

Beltre, Mauer, and Helton will be joining baseball legends such as Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Jackie Robinson, and Hank Aaron, in Cooperstown when they get inducted this summer. The induction ceremony will be held on July 21 at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.