Breaking News

Snow Day Policy Reinstated

Snow Day Policy Reinstated

We’ve had some snow already and there may be some more in the forecast, and students, teachers and staff are all thinking the same thing: Is school canceled or not? FCPS awarded the first snow day in two years on Jan. 16, and a 2-hour delay the following day.

The most common reason school will be canceled is icy roads that put buses, staff, and students in danger when trying to get to school.

When school gets canceled, the notification is put on the main websites and social
media apps of FCPS and West Po. FCPS announced its return to the pre-Covid snow day policy on December 4.

“This decision means there will be no virtual learning days when school is closed due to inclement weather. With 11 snow days already built into the existing calendar, this adjustment aims to maximize in-person learning and to ensure equitable access to instruction and student services for all students,” according to the FCPS Office of Communications.

Some students shared their thoughts on if we should get the unused snow days back. “Of course! I think that if they’re there, then they definitely should go to use,” says Fletcher Condon, freshman.

Although there are no virtual learning days, it doen’st mean kids won’t have access to virtual education tools.

An additional article was created about fun learning activities to do during a snow day. All of these activities were ideas submitted by teachers and parents. For example, one of the activities for high school students is, “Consider the physics of sledding down a hill. Do you go faster with more or less weight?”

Sometimes snow days are the breaks students and teachers need.