Club Hub-Bub: Girl Up

How to join Girl Up
How to join Girl Up

Recently, in March, Women’s History Month, Girl Up, organized a Period Products drive to support the community by donating pads and tampons to Second Story, a youth crisis shelter.

Both Sra. Yamalie Rodriguez Figueroa, Spanish teacher, and Mrs. O’Grady, women’s history teacher, have sponsored Girl Up for 4 years.

“In February we always do a period product drive,” Sra. Rodriguez said. “It is one necessity that not everyone thinks about.”

Schools across the country sponsor Girl Up chapters which were founded to give a voice to girls in schools. Some activities that Girl

Up has done this year include a December sock drive, tutoring sessions, candy grams, and writing uplifting letters to women in need.

Girl Up is not just for girls, and the club welcomes anyone that wants to join and support the club. Students can join through the Schoology page accessed through the Girl Up interest meeting in September.

Yoryi Roque, a senior and member of Girl Up for 2 years, is one of the few guys in Girl Up and would love to see more join. “It’s definitely not just for women,” Roque said. “I recommend it to anybody, girls or boys.”

Girl Up’s inclusive community is one of the main reasons why Riley Long, senior and Co-President of Girl Up, has been with the club since her freshman year.

“It’s a good community to just be a part of something,” Riley said. “I can’t wait to see what we accomplish going forward.”