Breaking News

2024 Met Gala

Florals, Gardens, and Inside Peeks at the Met Gala 2024
Image created by Leila Freimanis

Fashion’s grandest and monumental night of the year always falls on the first Monday of May, hosted at Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institution. Celebrities and designers join the red carpet together on this special night to showcase extravagant designer pieces in the chosen theme. 

This year’s chosen red carpet theme was “The Garden of Time” focusing on three main sub themes: land, sea, and sky. This year’s exhibit theme, “Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion,” is showcasing pieces that are too delicate to ever wear again, referred to as “sleeping beauties.” 

The Met Gala has officially closed and it’s time to see who was on theme and was off. The first celebrities to walk the carpet were the co-host of the night, Zendaya, Jennifer Lopez, Chris Hemsworth, and Bad Bunny. 

Zendaya shocked the audience with a dramatic look designed by Maison Margiela Couture, a reinterpretation from a Dior Spring collection in 1999. The dress was blue and green with features of many different materials. It also featured different types of insects that match the same color scheme of the dress.  But that’s not all, Zendaya has done something that no other celebrity has done before, she walked the carpet twice. Her second gown was a 1996 John Galliano Givenchy look. The second dress was a long black gown with a real flower bouquet on top of her head. 

One of the internet’s favorite looks came from Gigi Hadid, who walked the carpet in a white gown with yellow flowers and black and green detailing. The ensemble was designed by Thom Browne and shocked the whole carpet. 

Making her Met Gala debut on Monday night, singer-songwriter Tyla wore a dress that interpreted both themes, “The Garden of Time,” and “Sleeping Beauties.” Her dress was made entirely out of sand and a sculpted clay base. The dress represented a sand hourglass timer. This goes with the theme because her dress was so delicate that it could never be worn again. At the after party, Oliver Rousteing, who designed the dress, cut the bottom off so she could move around. 

Another favorite look of the night was from Lana Del Rey. For her first Met Gala since 2018, Lana amazed  the carpet in a tree branch inspired dress. And that’s not all, she paired the amazing gown with a pair of hooves instead of heels. This ensemble was designed by Alexander McQueen. 

Freshman Genovieve Riley stated, “My favorite look was Emma Chamberlain because her dress was beautiful, and my least favorite was anyone that wore a plain black suit.”

With every Met Gala, there were also looks that weren’t so show stopping, or on theme. The first came from Co-host Chris Hemsworth. His look didn’t showcase a garden or included any nature element. His outfit was called “just a nice Tom Ford suit” according to Buzz-feed. Another group of celebrities that missed the mark were all the attendees that wore Chloe to the night. Greta Gerwig, Zoe Saldana, and others all didn’t get the theme across in their looks.

One last Met Gala look that wasn’t the fans favorite was Cara Delevingne, who not only missed the theme, but wore a disappointing dress overall. The only interesting thing about her look was that it featured hundreds of lab grown diamonds around the top part of the outfit. 

For the first time ever, fans got to see what goes on inside the Met after the carpet. It is a notorious rule that guests invited aren’t allowed to use their cellphones at any time. But, posted on social media, we saw videos of Arina Grande performing a couple songs during the dinner. It was unclear where the specific source the video came from, but Vouge.com had reposted it on their Tik-Tok page.  

This year we got amazing looks, show stopping gowns, and an inside peek on what goes on behind the cameras. The only question is, what is the theme going to be next year?