The Madness of March Basketball

Photo- CBS Sports

Usually when people think of march madness, they think of teams like Duke and Kentucky winning it all in dominating fashion. Except that is never really what happens. Now more than ever underdogs are taking over the tournament, until 2018 no 16 seed had defeated a one seed, in the past six years two have accomplished the feat.

“At this point it’s probably better to just randomly pick your bracket instead of trying to predict a winner.” Freshman Aidan Duffy said. “It seems like every year some random 6th year senior drops 30 points on the best team in the tournament and my bracket is done.” Sadly this is how many Americans will feel about their bracket, according to the NCAA after just one day of games less than 0.01 percent of the brackets typically remain perfect.

Given these impossible statistics it is best to just have fun with your bracket and hope for the best once the games begin. Many have started to come up with random strategies for making their picks. “I just look at the two teams and whichever team I think is going to win in the first 5 seconds of seeing the two teams is the one I pick.” Sophomore Connor Skarin said. “If I don’t decide in 5 seconds I just take the higher seed.” Strategies like this can make teams you never would have thought existed your best hope to keep your bracket alive and is what makes the March Madness tradition one of the best parts of springtime.

Out of 64 teams that start the tournament only one can remain at the end. No matter how hard people try to predict the tournament a majority of the public will almost certainly fail, but your team being eliminated is no reason to stop watching the tournament. Watching the emotion of march madness and the highs and lows each team goes through throughout each game is a feeling that is unmatched by any other competition in sports. Small school teams can put their schools name on the map with one big upset and big schools can bring their school the glory of a title. Whether you’re bracket busted after the first game or have a shot at the perfect bracket by the time the final four comes around (you probably won’t), the Madness of March is must watch TV.