Advisory Students Score with La Liga

Norma+Martinez+and+Alisson+Mazariegos+are+co-captains+of+their+girls+La+Liga+team.+
Mr. Scott Brody
Norma Martinez and Alisson Mazariegos are co-captains of their girls La Liga team.

There’s a new reason to come to class for a whole lot of Wolverines. La Liga, a new intramural soccer league will be played during the 2nd half of advisory. La Liga will include eight separate teams that will be separated by color. Each team will be led by Captains and team managers along with being guided by student leaders. Student teams will play two games each advisory, with four of the eight teams playing each advisory. La Liga will follow the standard points system: a win gains three points, a draw gains you one point and a loss for zero points.

A student committee featuring about 12 student leaders will plan and organize the league for the rest of the year.

La Liga student leader, junior Kofi Hyiamang, believes that La Liga will help solve West Po’s skipping problem. “In homeroom, a lot of people usually hang out in the bathrooms and skip but now they can go outside and play soccer instead of walking around in the hallways and skipping in the bathroom.”

Along with providing a place for students to go during advisory, La Liga will showcase the talent of students who may not be able to stay after school to be part of an official Wolverines team. Student leader Muhammad Hussain, junior, believes, “There’s a lot of talent in the school and students aren’t able to showcase it, So given the opportunity to play outside, they could actually be selected/recruited by other soccer clubs.”

The organizers want to give students not playing in the initial season a way to enjoy the games. Ms. Lodge, one of the founders of La Liga would “love to get classes out there as ‘spectators’ during the games and create a culture of support.” Students who want to watch games can get passes that correspond to the color team they’re watching. La Liga has an Instagram account, @westpochampions , where they will post the week’s schedule so students or advisories can decide what games to watch.

See Spanish coverage of La Liga here.