Breaking News

A New Year For West Potomac Science Fair

After being pushed to February 3rd due to inclement weather, the West Potomac Science coordinated by Mr. Kipp Rogers hosted approximately 250 students.All classes were welcome to participate in the science fair and it is a requirement for some honors science classes. For those selected classes, the work students do throughout the year assists in generating ideas for the students’ projects. Teachers are also able to help assist students by showing previous examples of prior science fair projects. 

The projects that succeed will move on to The 69th Annual Fairfax County Regional Science and Engineering fair on March 15-17 at Robinson secondary school where they’ll go against other students in Fairfax County, which may lead into state competitions on May 12-17 in Los Angeles, California. 

“When you can make a real world connection no matter what the science background level of the judge or anybody else you’re talking to, it’s easier to start a conversation and get them on board,” Mr. Rogers, science fair organizer, said. In the winner, they’re hoping to see projects that relate to the students’ life.

Most of the projects were based on concepts that can help the environment. The students thought of their ideas based on past experiences they’ve seen and wondered if there’s a better way to fix or resolve the situation. 

For instance,“We’ve noticed a lot of power outages in the area and noticed it takes the power companies a while to get it back on,” Kyle Clark,Sophomore, said. Clark and his partner decided to make their science project a “simple, cheap way to make a long term solution” regarding power outages. They created a new way to receive energy with the help of a battery, in an effort to solve this issue they observed. 

The 1st Place Awards go to the following, and are able to attend Regionals:

1. Caffeine effect on ant productivity By Olivia Lough, Emma Sowers, and Catherine Dabbieri
  2. How Does the Pitch of Propeller Blades Affect Maximum Thrust Generated? By Kelvin James
  3. The Relationship between Generic/Name Brands of Anti-Inflammatory Pills to the Duration of Dissolution by Alexi Keyes and Caroline Jones
  4. The Effect of color making processes on color pigment by Jennifer Mercado-Luna and Stephanie Rodriguez-Cocula
  5. How Reliable are natural dyes on fabric? By Edom Birhane and Azucely Umanzor Manzanares
  6. The Effect of pH Levels on Phytoplankton Growth by Hannah Schoenberg and Ren Heyman
  7. The Effect of Glycerin on the Physical Characteristics of Bioplastic by Madison Seyfert
  8. The Effect of Different Thickening Agents on the Durability and Practicality of Bioplastic by Parisa Ahmad and Joudia Benjelloun
  9. Carbon and Nitrogen levels in soil by Madeline Banz
  10. The Effect of Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate Concentration on the Mortality Rate of Cyclops by Hailey Cabell
  11. How do vinegar, soda, and saltwater affect the cleaning of pennies? By Michael Webster, Justin Edwards, and Marley McBee
  12. How does Ferrofluid Effect the Conductivity of Electricity? By Evelyn McDonald and Kyle Clark
  13. The effect of vitamins on cilantro seeds by Adam Berkane, Jeromy Anokye, and Nicholas Lozano
  14. The Effect of pH and Color of Drink on Tooth Enamel by  Elizabeth Weber
  15. Testing the Stretch and Elasticity of Slime after adding a certain amount of Borax by Killian Hernandez, Gustavo Morales, and Nicole Flores
  16. Which liquid has the biggest effect on rust development? By Banks Holman