What’s in a Name? History? Family? Fun?

Joseph Romeo Photography
The new building features tons of windows that provide natural light and open to an outdoor classroom space.

In response to The Wire’s request for suggested names for the new building, we found few but mighty responses from the fun to the familial. What’s your favorite? Readers can respond to the poll on The Wire through April 18.

The first response, in the fun category, came from a place of fun through Mr. Hubbard, as he put forth the “Quanector.” The reasoning was because the new building is a connector from Quander to the rest of West Po. Freshman Ajami Dhaba, who hasn’t settled on a name yet, isn’t a fan. “I think it sounds corny and it could get confusing, there are probably better options out there for a name,” she said.

Ms. McGlynn’s class proposed two different names based on historical figures, one from the Quander family lineage. The first name is “Hines Hall,” for Ezel Williams Hines who died as a baby and was buried on the property.

Not all students think it will take. “I think that everyone is used to calling the new building ‘new building’ so I don’t know if people would catch on to the name,” Freshman Genovive Riley said.

“West Ford” was suggested as a name, in honor of West Ford, who was the father and founder of the Gum Springs community. He was a former slave of George Washington at Mount Vernon. The community gets its name from sweet gum trees that are around the area. He also was a caretaker at Mount Vernon.

Gavin Young, freshman, said, “I think it is a good name because all the building names have history already so it would fit it.”

Look for the poll on the website’s homepage by April 18 to register your vote on the name.