Breaking News

Wolverine’s 7-on-7 Rushes Football to Spring

The West Potomac Stadium Field

In the wake of the recent basketball frenzy and with West Potomac spring sports starting up, football will also be in the air. Early football workouts will begin on the stadium field.

With the loss of 27 seniors next year the Wolverines need our young talent to get to work early. The Wolverines faced adversity throughout this year’s season, but lost in a playoff game against South County. They fell short in a controversial ending, but the team’s mind is focused on preparing themselves for next year.

“I’m really excited to see what the young guys have to prove this spring and summer,” Jake Benningfield, junior linebacker, said.

With an eye to the future, Wolverine Football will be participating in a seven-on-seven program with all the high schools in the district. 7-on-7 football is a game of football played without pads. It typically involves the position players, such as quarterback, receivers, and running backs. Many football players play this in the off season to sharpen their skills and stay ready for the regular season. This program acts as an early showcase and a precursor to what the team has in store for the regular season. Last year the games were hosted at South County, and this year’s location is yet to be decided.

“7 on 7 improves my skill and decision making. Sometimes I feel like I improve my game more during 7 on 7 more than in the regular season,” Henry Packard, freshman quarterback, said.