Breaking News

Bomb Threat Temporarily Shuts Down School

Miguel Tsang
Students gather on the bleachers as their bags get inspected by police dogs

Just this morning at 8:50, students were evacuated to the football field with their first period classes. The reason being was not revealed until 9:15 this morning, when parents of West Po students received a mass text stating that police were “investigating a bomb threat.” Students were kept on the field for a total of about three hours, during which they were provided prepackaged lunch but also had to leave bags unattended in order for police dogs to complete an inspection.

Police canines sniff bags that students were instructed to leave on the football field

Students and teachers had varying opinions of the situation.

“I don’t think we should go back in there,” junior Andrew Hardin stated prior to 9:15. At the time, it was still unknown to students what the threat was, leading many including Hardin to believe it was a gas leak.

“I got a hella dog allergy,” senior Jake Cohn stated in reference to the dog sniffing of backpacks.

“I think they’re doing a pretty good job, everything is pretty much organized,” Ms. Sharon Smith, math teacher, said of the school’s handing of the event. While not at West Po, Smith has had to teach under a similar bomb threat scenario elsewhere, and commented that West Po’s procedure was all but the same. Because of this, she was not at all bothered by having to monitor and regroup with her class throughout the three hours.

Fairfax County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Michelle Reid also praised West Potomac’s handling of the disturbance. In doing so, she also shed light on the validity and scale of the bomb threat, although the person behind it is still unknown.

“We do have two other schools [Mount Vernon and Hayfield] that have phoned in threats and in speaking with the police chief this morning, he was able to quickly determine that they were coming from the same source which was deemed not to be credible,” Reid stated. “I believe they [police] were also working with Montgomery County because they had two schools that were called yesterday as well. They’re exploring [the possibility of it being connected].”

As more information about today’s events gets released, this story will be continuously updated.

Dr. Reid was called to the scene today to assist with and investigate the threat (Miguel Tsang)

UPDATE: A full timeline of the 4/24 school day can be accessed here.

View Comments (2)