Teacher Feature: Ms. Wheeler

Ms.+Wheeler+is+a+beloved+English+teacher+
Addison Hood
Ms. Wheeler is a beloved English teacher

Ms. Amy Wheeler, or Ms. Wheeler, as her students call her, didn’t originally want to be a teacher. 

She went to college for communications and public relations, but her drive to help her community led her to becoming a sub in Florida when Hurricane Ivan struck in 2004.

A ninth grade honors English and AP lit teacher, who is in her 19th year of teaching and second year at West Po. Wheeler prefers teaching high school, rather than middle school where she was years before.

“The more you read, the better you write, and that’s both scientific, it just tends to pour out literally in front of my eyes.,” Ms. Wheeler said.

Before teaching, Wheeler was a Florida resident, but she saw the need for teachers and rose to the opportunity. While teaching as a substitute teacher, she was additionally working toward her masters degree. She strives to create a comfortable classroom for her students. As a long-time book lover, she enjoys reading authors from the young-adult section, like the books she assigns her students. 

“My parents always were like, ‘If you ask for a book, we aren’t going to turn you down,’’ she said. 

That habit continues into her classroom, where she has countless books for her students, and possibly herself, to read. Wheeler finds joy in watching her students succeed as they grow from freshman to senior and beyond. 

“Next year, I’ll see some of the kids I taught at Sandburg [Middle School] graduate and it’s really inspiring,” she explained.

Watching her former students gives Wheeler the confidence to continue on even the hardest days. 

“The kindness in the students I have taught always makes me want to come back.”